TE KUITI RSA – History

Formed: Just after World War One
1914- 1918
Headquarters- RNZRSA Wellington
Local Sub Branches
Mangapeehi (later Beenydale)
Kawhia South (Te Waitere)

All early records (1913-1934) are missing; presumed lost in the 1958 flood.

1918 to early 1930s

At first, meeting rooms were located at the rear of the building, presently occupied by ‘The Bargain centre’ on the corner of King Street West and Taupiri Street. The middle door on the King Street side opened onto a passageway to two rooms at the rear of the building. All RSA meetings and business was conducted in these rooms from 1918 until the early 30’s. The period from late 1920s to the middle 1930s was known as ‘The Great Depression’. Times were hard and jobs were scarce. Many unemployed men were in Government work camps, sometimes with families living there in very harsh conditions. The RSA helped many ex-servicemen’s’ families when they were in dire need. The money from the Poppy Day sales was put to good use during this time.

1930s to 1943

In the early 1930s, the Friendly Societies decided to build their own hall. This brick building is situated in Taupiri Street next to the old District Council Chambers. The RSA assisted with this project and had an extra room built on the hall for their ‘Executive Committee’ meetings. It had a private entrance facing the Council Building and the RSA operated from there until 1944.

1944 to 1960

During World War 2 (1939-1945), the Executive Committee decided to build clubrooms for returning WW2 servicemen.

A building, on the South side of the present National Bank was purchased and converted into the first RSA clubrooms.

At that time, the two front rooms of this building had been occupied by Mr Leo Jacobs (solicitor) and down a passage to the rear was a billiard saloon owned by Mr Andy Moghan.
When completed in 1944, the club contained two billiard tables, a fully serviced bar, a small lounge and a committee room.
In the post war period, a huge amount of work was done by RSA sub-committees settling ex-servicemen on balloted farms and into jobs and houses. The Welfare Committee was active with its assistance to the needy and it still does this today.

1960 to 1997

The old club was not big enough for the RSA social activities so a new, larger and more modern one was built on the same property but facing the river. It was officially opened in December 1960.
For many years, the RSA continued with its normal activities with particular attention to the welfare of ex-servicemen and their dependents.

The Women’s Section

In 1967, the wives and widows of ex-servicemen decided to form a Women’s Section of the TeKuiti RSA. This section has been a great success. They organize catering for funerals and many other functions. Poppy Day is handled most efficiently by them and they have donated considerable sums of money to various local projects. Two delegates are invited to attend the bi-monthly RSA Executive meetings.
The TeKuiti RSA Executive Committee and the Women’s Section continued to perform various functions for many years, as indicated in the ‘AWARDS LISTS’, many members gave outstanding service to the Association and community over


Due to a declining membership caused by deaths and members retiring out of the district, the RSA decided to close its social club and sell its clubrooms. All members remaining merged with the Waitomo Club. This has been a mutually beneficial arrangement for both organisations.


The Te Kuiti RSA Executive and Women’s Section now operate from the Waitomo Club and expect to do so into the future.